This project is a combination Restoration and Renovation of what was originally the Women’s Christian Temperance Union in Canadian, Texas. The original portion of the building was built in 1911 as a meeting space for the WCTU. It incorporated a “Reading Room” and evolved into a Public Library. In the 1970s a “Brutalism Lite” addition was added.
The building and addition were configured in an inefficient way that did not serve the needs of the community. The library spaces were not well defined, but also “chopped up”. Some areas were too large, and others much too small for current needs. Also, there were a number of added interior walls that prevented the Library Staff from monitoring activities throughout the space. The mechanical and technological systems were inadequate for the needs of a modern library, including out of date phone systems, inefficient HVAC, and non-existent data systems.